Looking for a fun drinking game for your next virtual happy hour or get-together with friends?
Then why not try the Spelling Bee Drinking Game?
Essentially, this drinking game is the adult version of the school spelling bee.
A fun way to challenge yourself cerebrally, whilst simultaneously drinking lots of alcohol, it usually starts off easy enough but quickly descends into lots of laughter, frustration and acute embarrassment at your inability to spell.
When played with a good-sized group it is a very fun game to play!
What do you need to play the Spelling Bee Drinking Game
To play the Spelling Bee Drinking Game all you really need is a willing group of friends or participants, a list of words to spell and a lot of alcohol!
When it comes to the words to spell, it is a good idea to split them into categories like easy, harder and difficult.
To mix things up and make it even more interesting, you may even want to arrange the words into subjects like countries or cities, sporting teams or food items.
Rules of the Game
The rules of the game are as follows:
1) Assemble a group of between 6 to 20 people in your physical room, or chat room.
2) Ensure each player has a beer or other alcoholic beverage at hand, with plenty in reserve in case they are a poor speller.
3) One person should be nominated as the ‘judge’ who will then proceed to give each person in turn a word to spell.
4) After advising the person of the word to spell, the judge will carefully listen for any incorrect answers. Should there be one, that player will need to finish all of their drink and will be instantly eliminated from the game.
5) If the word is spelt correctly, the player must drink 2 fingers worth of beer, or one finger of wine or spirits – depending on what they are drinking. The judge will then provide the next person in line with a word to spell.
6) After moving through 1 to 3 rounds (depending on the number of people playing the game) the judge should then move on to the harder category of words, and then the most difficult. They can also change up the subjects too.
7) As the words get harder, more players will be eliminated, with the winner being the last person standing to correctly spell a word.
Spelling Bee Drinking Game Words
Below is a good selection of words to use in the harder and difficult categories.
30 ‘Harder’ words to spell
30 ‘Difficult’ words to spell
(If you don’t know what any of these words mean just Google them!)
Why not randomise the game!
To speed this game up why not add a ‘random’ element to it?
You can do this by writing all the easy, harder and difficult words on separate pieces of paper and then putting them all in the bag.
You can then pull one of the pieces of paper out on each person’s go, to provide them with the word to spell.
That way one person might get an easy word like ‘house’ to spell, whilst the next person gets ‘zygophyllaceous’! – which will have people rueing their bad luck!
So there you have it, our review of how to play the Spelling Bee Drinking Game.
At the end of the day, the most important thing to remember when you play this game is to have fun.
If all participants throw themselves into the spirit of things, you are all sure to have a wonderful time!